Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Grandmother Teachings

In my experience, the lessons and teachings of the grandmothers are always very powerful. The words spoken come from a very personal place and as a result the knowledge shared stays with me. While it would be incredibly inappropriate for me to tell the story of another women’s traditional journey, I will say her words were inspiring to me.

Her words were familiar lessons that I have heard from Elders before but her story was of course unique to her. I was reminded of the path one embarks on when choosing to lead a life of service for others. The exchange that can happen between an Elder and her apprentice when they decide to go on a traditional journey together. I was especially aware of the knowledge that can come to you when you listen to the words of another with an open mind and an open heart. Today was a reminder of all these gifts.

For information on Cultural Competency and Safety click here

No comments: