Tuesday, September 2, 2008

How does my background connect me to this event?


As a woman of Algonquin and mixed heritage, much of my work and volunteer history has been dedicated to improving the health and wellness of Aboriginal individuals, families and communities.

I have spent many years committed:

  • To empowering Aboriginal youth to stand up and speak out for the health of their people.
  • To taking on communications initiatives that help to improve the quality of life for First Nations, Inuit and Métis.

The foundational lessons that motivate me to do this work are the result of the four years I spent as an apprentice to a Micmac Elder who carried a Sioux Thunder Pipe. Traditional teachings and interactions with Aboriginal Elders and leaders have made me aware of my spiritual and cultural background and of the political issues that Aboriginal people face.

This traditional journey led me to Trent University where I enrolled in Native Studies and then to Simon Fraser University where I earned a degree in Communications and First Nations Studies.

No comments: