Monday, September 8, 2008

Setting the Tone

It is a clear afternoon as the flight I am on arrives in the Atlantic region. Some of my colleagues have already been here for a few days taking part in some pre-gathering workshops. Since this event is both regional and national in scope, youth and Elders from across the country have been brought here to meet with the local traditional people and community members.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to be outside and on the land. It has been some time since I have attended an event of this nature. While I know this work requires much energy, both physically and emotionally, as spiritual work tends to be, I am at ease with how this is an appropriate venue in which to have knowledge pass from Elders to youth and youth to Elders.

I cannot know what lessons I will be reminded of and what information will come my way, but I trust the process to guide me. One teaching, I have often heard to contextualize events such as this is to take what information is shared with you that is useful and relevant and leave the rest behind for someone else. If at some time in your life you need that knowledge it will be there waiting for you.

To view the document Winds of Change: A Strategy of Health Policy Research and Analysis click here.

No comments: